Monday, October 7, 2013

Let's Talk About the Tudors


I'm completely obsessed with interior design, yes, but I am also completely obsessed with architecture and exterior design. Living in Tucson most of that obsession is suppressed because southwestern architecture is so not my idea of beauty. Maybe because I was born in Arizona, grew up between Tucson and Vegas and am now back.. I just can't seem to get on the stucco wagon like everyone else.

Yes, it's quite versatile (bah blah blah) but let me get real with you for a minute. It's a cop-out. A total design cop-out these days, every single commercial and residential building is stucco'd and it's ugly.

Okay, I'm feeling better now that I got that out.

Low ceilings and stucco, that's what we have to show for ourselves here in Tucson, AZ. But to prove some folks have a grasp on architecture and the beauty it holds here are a couple must sees Tucson.
The Benedictine Sanctuary >> Read More

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

San Xavier Mission >> Photography by Michael Chiago 

So now you're wondering what this has to do with Tudors. That long winded rant about Tucson and its lack of architectural adventure is a prelude to give you more of an understanding as to why I love design so much.. I was deprived as a child by living here. (Not really.. I tend to get a tad dramatic about this subject.)

But we're not talking about this Tudor... 

...or more recently known as 



Southhampton's Tudor House
The Tudors I am so crazy about are the style of home. The original style stemmed from the era of Henry VIII  in 16th century England and has grown throughout the years in more modern styles and designs. (History also really intrigues me)

What I love most about the style is the detail. In late medieval times the lower story was built with brick, for more esthetic reasons than structural, and the upper stories kept the wood and plaster look to keep the costs low.. brick was a luxury item. Sad to say.. it still is. 

Linenfold Paneling

I learned that Tudor houses actually made the use of an enclosed chimney a common building practice, before that the smoke just escaped through a hole in the ceiling. The detail in medieval architecture is absolutely amazing, it boggles my mind that today detail is virtually non-existent and that's just sad. Look at this linenfold paneling used in the era.. I mean come on!

Also.. I have a thing for pitched roofs. A pitched roof adds such charm to a home and.. attic space. So many homes in the southwest have no attic space. We like to call them “crawl spaces” because that's exactly what they are. There isn't room to walk the entire space because they usually haven't been given complete floors, just a small space allotted for “storage”. The rest is just made up of rafters and insulation, try and balance beam across and you'll probably end up falling into the family room.

Okay back to the Tudor. The pitched roof with thatching just adds another element to the design, it just does it for me. I love it. The homes themselves kind of remind me of gingerbread houses and that's just an obvious appeal.. from the choice of stone and brick exteriors, I just can't get enough of this home style. It's definitely on the list of Gina's Future Homes. Yes, that's plural.

Here are a few modern homes that have a Tudor influence. 


 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<



 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<


LOVE THEM! 

2 comments:

  1. I love Tudors. Both the house and the show with Superman in it. :) The homes remind me of fairytales. So dreamy/

    ReplyDelete